Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down

cleanup store.mdb database Empty cleanup store.mdb database

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:52 pm
Stickies database for storing stickies keeps growing in size , deleting entries does not remove the space and the filesize remains the same.
After using it to store images from screencapture the size went up to 45Mb even after deleting the images.

Stickies version 8 had a compact database option ( in the Manage Stickies window ) but this was removed in version 9 ? Microsoft provides an utility ( very basic ) to cleanup the mdb file . After running the store.mdb went from 45Mb to 8Mb......

I used it on a win10 pro windows without problems even if win10 is not listed in microsoft's notes.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/295334/jet-compact-utility-is-available-in-download-center
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

cleanup store.mdb database Empty Re: cleanup store.mdb database

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:53 pm
Pressing shift-control-c in the Manage dialog will compact the database.

Incidentally, images aren't stored in that mdb file (although that will change in the next release of Stickies).  Right now they're saved as PNG files in the "images" directory.

Tom

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:46 am
There were a few mixed text/image stickies  where the screenshot was annotated stored in the mdb ( each one was 6Mb ) , even with resized images they retained there original size .

Thanks the shortcut works well , maybe the mdb size does not really matter in performance but it did look strange .
soul25

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:18 pm
Sooyke wrote:........maybe the mdb size does not really matter in performance but it did look strange .

Talking about performance can you look at my new post  - https://zhornsoftware.forumotion.com/t143-stickies-takes-too-long-to-launch#426
Can you please post there your stickies' launch time ?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:49 am
cleanup store.mdb database 0Hx2AD8

There are 4 desktop stickies the rest are stored ( 12Mb store.mdb ) i created 40 recurring stickies but still the load time is less than 2 seconds .
It is on a win10 pro running from a SSD on a cheap low end computer ( intel j2900 ).

How do you know it is still loading ? Do the desktop stickies only appear after 45 seconds ?
soul25

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:14 pm
Sooyk wrote:
How do you know it is still loading ? Do the desktop stickies only appear after 45 seconds ?
@Sooyk, sorry for my late response.
"How do you know it is still loading " -I see its CPU on process explorer tool.

"Do the desktop stickies only appear after 45 seconds ?" - yes (for at least a year).

BTW - for comparison my Waterfox browser (with 85 addons) loads after only a few seconds.  My Evernote with 3270 notes loads after 5 seconds.

RAM - 4GB
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHz
Disk C: 13467 MB Available, 152513 MB Total, 13467 MB Free
Disk D: 60 GB Available, 149 GB Total, 60 GB Free

Win 7 x64

cleanup store.mdb database Captur10

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 am
Do you mean a high cpu value ?
You could enable  stickies debugmode in Options / Advanced , it seems to also log while starting up .
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:07 pm
Ah yes, that's the missing info - I suspect the problem is down to the 176 desktop notes which are in a stack.  Although they might not appear on the screen, the windows are still created when the app starts, so that when you expand a stack it can happen straight away instead of then having to go to the disk to load them.

Are you able to move any of those stacked notes into a store category, or does your workflow need them to be in stacks?

Tom
soul25

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:42 pm
First, thanks for taking the time to help with this issue.
To answer your question - I use stickies with stacks much more than I use them when they are archived (stored).

Would you please consider changing the Launch process so that it will fully load only the desktop stickies and load the stacks without creating the "hidden windows" of the stacks' stickies ?
I really don't mind if it takes a few seconds for a stack to expand. I have about 16 stacks. Every stack has about 10 stickies. On a specific day I don't expand more than 3 stacks so I don't need the the stickies-program to load all my 16 stacks at the launch.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:51 pm
It's something I can bear in mind, sure, although for every user who wants delay-loaded stacks (loaded at expand time), there will be one who wants instant stacks (loaded at app-launch time)...

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum